As posted on The Daily Awe.
Have you ever met someone and had the feeling that you’ve known them before? Not in a “your face looks familiar” kind of way, but rather felt an inexplicable familiarity when you look into that person’s eyes? Perhaps you’ve shared many lives with them or just one. You just feel it in your bones that this is someone who has been and will be important to you.
Before we’re born into this life, we make agreements – soul contracts – with other souls and agree to learn certain lessons from each other. We may establish a soul agreement with someone in order to awaken a particular facet of our soul that up to that point in time had laid dormant. We may be here in this lifetime to work through karmic issues we shared with this soul in another life (or several).
Most of us have many soul mates (they can be a friend, partner, sibling, co-worker). Not everyone we encounter has a soul contract with us, though.
So how do I know if I’ve met my soul mate?
If you have a particularly deep soul connection, there will be a “freeze-frame” memory of the first moment you met that person. In other words, as we later reflect back upon the first time we met a particular person, we have a clear “picture” in our mind of all of the circumstances of that moment when that person first entered our lives.
Signs you’ve met a soulmate:
- There is a powerful, instantaneous feeling that you have known the other before
- You felt an instant and deep connection for each other
- Words aren’t good enough to describe the electrifying feelings you share together
- Your relationship is immediate, as if no time has passed since you last ‘knew’ each other
- Time and space lose meaning when you look into this person’s eyes
- You have a completely open relationship and don’t fear judgment
- Neither one of you are dependent on the other for your sense of self
- Your feelings for each other are spiritual
- There are no restrictions within the relationship: there is no need for ownership or control
- Both of you know without a doubt you were brought together for a reason
- The relationship has a deep sense of purpose
- You become one without losing your individual identities
- You see yourself in the other person’s eyes
Soul mate relationships, while wonderful, are almost never pain-free. These people are brought into our lives to help us grow and as a result, they often challenge us more than others. When you find a soulmate it’s not just all jumping on clouds and smiling as you gaze into each other’s eyes for hours (though there is some of that). Lots of growth takes place when you find such a soul.
“People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.” ~ Elizabeth Gilbert
Have a “our eyes connected across a busy room” story to share? Share it here.
If you like what you read here – subscribe to Connective Healing. Each month a subscriber is chosen for a free intuitive reading. And don’t forget to spread the love and share the article with friends/family/your neighbor/coworker – anyone!